Smethwick Town Deal Board
Purpose of committee
The Smethwick Town Deal Board comprises a wide range of key stakeholders from community, business, voluntary, public-sector and faith organisations and is chaired by Alan Taylor, Sandwell Business Ambassador and Business Representative of MI Glass, Smethwick.
The Board will review progress of the Towns Fund Programme and projects, assessing change requests and ensuring compliance with Heads of Terms.
Throughout project delivery, the Board will see through the town vision, take ownership of their proposed projects and provide a level of accountability.
Meetings are not open to the public and press.
To co-ordinate the three Towns Deals in Sandwell, an overarching Towns Fund Superboard (Town Deal Board) was established in July 2020 with three Town-level Local Boards established as working groups of the Superboard.
The model of the Superboard being supported by three Local Boards has been effective throughout Phase 1 – Development of Town Investment Plans (submitted to DLUHC October 2020) and Phase 2 – Development of Full Business Case (Submitted to DLUHC by March 2022), through robust due diligence and assurance processes.
On 18 May 2022, SMBC Cabinet approved the Governance Arrangements for the Towns Fund Programme Phase 3 – Delivery (109/22). As a result, the Sandwell Superboard structure has been replaced by the three Local Boards, who inherit Superboard responsibilities: -
To view historic Superboard meeting papers, please click here.
- Alan Taylor (Chair)
- Jude Thompson (Vice-Chair)
- Councillor Kerrie Carmichael SMBC Leader
- Councillor Peter Hughes SMBC Cabinet Member, Regeneration and Growth
- Councillor Bob Piper SMBC Cabinet Member
- Councillor Zahoor Ahmed SMBC Cabinet Member
- Councillor Farut Shaeen SMBC Smethwick Town Lead Member
- Rt Hon John Spellar MP MP Warley Constituency
- Sandeep Shingadia Representing Transport for West Midlands
- Geoff Layer Representing Black Country LEP
- Jo Nugent Representing Homes England
- Bel Sixsmith Representing West Midlands Police
- David Holden Representing Sandwell College
- Gareth Brown Representing Raglan Road Church
- Jatinder Singh Representing Guru Nanak Gurdwara
- Jennifer Harrison Representing Brasshouse Community Centre
- John Wood Representing Liberty Engineering
- Leona Bird Representing SCVO
- Mohammed Iqbal Representing Smethwick Young People
- Muskaan Shabir Representing Smethwick Young People
- Omar Rashid Representing Businesses
- Rob Lake Representing The Albion Foundation
- Emma Parkes (Secretary)