Council new build homes on land at Whitgreave Street, West Bromwich
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
(1) That approval be given to develop approximately 2355 m2 of land at Whitgreave Street, West Bromwich with new council housing for affordable rent, subject to planning permission, as shown for identification purposes only at Appendix 1.
(2) That the Director of Finance be authorised to allocate adequate
resources from the Council’s Housing Revenue Account to deliver the scheme and to utilise grant funding offered by Homes England, under the extended Homes England Strategic Partnership 1 Programme 2016 to 2021 to assist with the delivery of the project.
1.3 In connection with 1.1 and 1.2 above, approval be given to authorise the necessary steps for the delivery of the proposed project, including:
a) the Director of Regeneration and Growth in consultation with the
Director of Finance and the Director of Housing be authorised to
prepare tendering documentation and subsequently procure, in
accordance with any statutory regulations and the Council’s
Procurement and Financial Regulations;
b) execute any requirements in accordance with the Homes England Delivery Partner Dynamic Purchasing System (DPS) framework including appointing a contractor/contractors to develop, on behalf of the Council, the proposed housing scheme; to enter into or execute under seal any financial agreement in relation to the Homes England grant on terms and conditions to be agreed by the Director of Finance;
c) that any necessary exemptions are made to the Council’s
Procurement and Contract Procedure Rules to enable the course
of action referred to b above to proceed;
d) subject to a, b and c above, the Director – Monitoring Officer be
authorised to enter into or execute under seal any documentation
in relation to award of the contract and/or development/partnership
agreement, Homes England developer status, licence,
undertaking, framework joining agreement, any consents or
applications required for Planning or Highways appertaining to the
delivery of the scheme and any other agreements with the
procured contractor(s) and with the Homes England, as may be
deemed necessary to facilitate development of the site with a
housing scheme as described in below on terms and conditions to
be agreed by the Director of Regeneration and Growth;
e) the Director of Regeneration and Growth in consultation with the
Director of Housing and the Director of Finance be authorised to
accept a tender of up to 10% above the approved estimated costs
as a contingency to mitigate uncertain market conditions and
inflationary cost uplifts.
f) Subject to the practical completion of each property, the Director of Housing be authorised to manage and let the properties built in
accordance with the Council’s housing allocation policy.
g) That the following action points identified within the financial
appraisal of the funding application by Strategic Finance, be
implemented to reduce the risk to the Council:
· That Cabinet consider the alternatives and are satisfied that the proposal to construct the new build homes will meet the Council’s objectives in the most appropriate manner.
· That a process is developed to prioritise the development of site against pre-determined criteria and alternative options for achieving the Council’s housing objectives within each locality.
· That the planned use of Right to Buy receipts is reviewed prior to the submission of a ‘firm scheme’ to Homes England to ensure that the project secures the most appropriate and financially advantageous source of funding.
That the relocation of the electricity sub-station and related lease are completed as a matter of urgency to ensure no delays to project timesca
Publication date: 23/06/2022
Date of decision: 22/06/2022
Decided at meeting: 22/06/2022 - Cabinet
- 14 - Council new build homes on land at Whitgreave Street West Bromwich PDF 272 KB
- 14a - Appendix 1 - Site Plan Whitgreave St PDF 105 KB
- 14b - Appendix 2 - Whitgreave Street_Proposed Site Plan PDF 3 MB
- 14c - Appendix 3 - Appraisal Report PUBLIC Whitgreave Street West Bromwich PDF 286 KB
- Restricted enclosure View reasons restricted